Monday, March 9, 2009

Girl you know it's true.

Guess what. I'm obsessive. For those of you who know me I'm sure this doesn't come as a surprise. If we're friends on Facebook you may have noticed my list of "Current Obsessions" which is updated quite frequently. So I'm going to use this ish right hurr to explain why I'm in love with these things and why you should be too.

Veckatimest:
2006's Yellow House by Grizzly Bear is, in my opinion, a masterpiece. I thought this from the first time I heard it. The textures, the soundscapes, the harmonies... everything came together beautifully and it was music to my ears (pun definitely intended). It's hard to describe why they're so good so I won't even attempt it. Just go listen to this album through and through and you will understand. And I mean really listen. To top it off, they're also probably one of the best live acts I've ever seen. I didn't think there was any way that this four-piece from Brooklyn would ever be able to reproduce anything from Yellow House live and it still have the same effect as the recorded version but boy was I wrong. They're even better live and I can't seem to wrap my head around it. Long story short, buy Yellow House and see this band live. They will be at Bonnaroo this year and are also making a stop in Atlanta. Just go.

Enter 2009. Almost three years have past and I'm dying to get my hands on Grizzly Bear's newest offering. On 2/8/09 they announce their new album will be called Veckatimest and will include 12 songs, two of which they have teased me with on late night offerings such as Conan and Letterman (called "Two Weeks" and "While You Wait For the Others"). But there is a catch. It doesn't come out until May 26th. I'm crushed. What if I die before I get to hear this album? Ahhhh, but we live in age where a release date isn't really the release date anymore don't we? Not one month later Veckatimest has leaked to the interwebz! Rejoice! But wait, this is one of my favorite bands... it would be wrong to steal from them right? Dammit.

Enter moral dilemma. I get the majority of my music at the low low price of free.99 but I want to support Grizzly Bear. I mean, it's not like they're doing arena tours and pulling in millions of dollars. Ultimately I decide to pre-order Veckatimest from Grizzly's website (see the link below) to make myself feel better about a little sneak preview. So yes, I downloaded the album fully expecting to listen to it one time through just to satiate my obsession then delete it. But son of a bitch if I can't stop listening to it. I work 8 hours a day and it has been on repeat in my left ear ALL DAY LONG for a solid week. Grizzly Bear have truly outdone themselves. That is all there is to it. Every song is a gem and quite frankly, I'm jealous of their talent. I have no doubt in my mind that Veckatimest will be right at the top of my best albums of 2009 list. So basically, do yourself a favor and buy Veckatimest on May 26th. You won't be dissappointed.

Pre-order Veckatimest

1 comment:

BAIN said...

likes this *thumbs up*